Sunday, January 13, 2008

Curbing Emotional Eating


Most of us derive a lot of pleasure from food. However, if we find ourselves eating as a constant coping mechanism it may be time to rethink our eating habits. If you struggle with emotional eating, here are a few strategies to help you gain more control over what and when you eat:

1. Learn to distinguish true hunger from a desire to be soothed.

2. Uncover the emotional situations that trigger your food cravings.

3. Develop other avenues for comforting yourself. Try other activities that you find soothing such as a bike ride or a phone call to a friend.

4. Plan ahead by stocking your kitchen with healthy snacks instead of temptations like ice cream or chips.

5. Eat regular meals that nourish you so that you are less susceptible to constant snacking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was lots more helpful than the things that I usually read which ask me to rate how hungry I am and then wait and see if I still want to eat 15 minutes later.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed how now that I'm not skipping meals I don't tend to binge as much when I come home at night. Still, late night's are hard!

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home