Thursday, November 18, 2004

Don't Skip the Sweet Potatoes

Many people suffering from carbphobia may be tempted to skip the sweet potatoes this Thanksgiving. Don't! Sweet potatoes are an amazing source of the antioxidant beta carotene, which has been linked to the prevention of heart disease and many types of cancer. In addition, one baked sweet potato provides about twice the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin A, 42 percent of the RDA for vitamin C and 10 percent of the RDA for iron. All this for only 141 calories per potato.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hi Elana...I just wanted to let you know that I think this is really excellent and that I have been following it...mostly through rss of course...but I also realized that no one has commented yet...so I get to be your first comment! Woohoo!

Hope Austin is treating you well and I look forward to more great blogging!

10:15 PM  
Blogger marion said...

All of this helpful data about sweet potatoes is great to know....but you didn't say anything about marshmallows. How can one have sweet potatoes without marshmallows at this time of year? :)

Seriously, welcome to blogging! Over here in Houston I am greatly looking forward to Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I am also giving thanks that my car is still running -- so far, anyway -- after its waterlogged trip to Austin.

11:39 PM  
Blogger marion said...

Updating to say that I did have sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, which were delicious. My cousin, a former chef, made them (mashed and topped with marshmallows) and added a bit of Irish potato to the dish to help it hold together. That worked really well. So if anyone is getting frustrated trying to prepare sweet potatoes, apparently a dash of non-sweet potato might help clear things up.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home